Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Busy - Two Kinds

"There are two kinds of Busy. One is busy "on purpose" and the other is busy "on convenience". One kind reduces busy and the other perpetuates it. "

- Rick Wallace

Yes there are two kinds of busy, one works and one doesn't - although we believe it does - one of those false beliefs we talk about.

Yes I'm busy. I have blocked off the next 60 minutes so I could focus. I am focused on preparing for a weekly team huddle -- updating the charts on how we are doing against our goals for the quarter. I then facilitate the 20 minute Huddle reviewing the charts, reviewing the team's individual dashboards, and discussing a core value.

I could have been busy running around "helping" out, managing, showing people how to do their jobs, answering their questions, and following up with employees on the fly to ensure they are doing what they are supposed to. Pitching in here and there. Watching them and making sure they are busy. "Oh no we are out of "that". I'll run over and get some - be back in an hour. No, while I'm out, I'll also deliver "that" too." It is convenient, easy to just show up and do the same thing every day.

Which "busy" gets the best results and ROI for the time invested? Which busy builds a company that is accountable for results? Which busy frees you up and allows you to work "on your purpose", your WHY, your dreams?

It is your Choice! 

Regards,  
Rick Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment