Tuesday, June 21, 2016

What You See is Not What You Think

Why do multiple eye witnesses to a crime provide different stories? Why do we as business people stick so firmly to beliefs of how things are supposed to work or be done?  Why is multitasking so inefficient?

Give me 8 minutes and watch these two videos. The first is less than 2 minutes long but a lot of fun and the second provides the answer to the questions above. The implications are that by being aware how our beliefs and memory and intuition are flawed we can stop, question, seek, absorb and act on knowledge that will provide better solutions and results.

Have some fun with this and then read the false beliefs below that are holding you and your business back.  

Passing the ball (1:21 minutes)

TEDX Talk 7 minutes - Daniel Simons


Knowing this, here are some false beliefs held by many business owners - myths that you need to question:
  1. I can't find good people
  2. Everyone here needs to be a good multitasker
  3. Everyone is so busy now we cannot possibly do more with the team we have
  4. I need to be a better manager
  5. Goals, values and purpose - bunch of soft things my employees will laugh at
  6. Quarterly reviews are instrumental in helping our people grow
  7. I must have an open door policy and be here to answer all their questions
  8. I'll fit that in sometime this week
  9. I'll get the results, I just need some people to support me
  10. To improve profit we must cut expenses and/or raise prices and I have tapped out on both
  11. We want any customer we can find
  12. I just need to get our name out there more
These beliefs are holding you back,  seeking the truth and acting on it will take you and your business to the next level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment