Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Most Expensive Thing A Person Can Own is A Closed Mind

"The wisest mind has something yet to learn." 
 - George Santayana, Philosopher

Two quotes for one this week.
I asked a client the other day what he had to overcome to make the call and retain a coach. It is not an easy call to make, I know that. I was curious about why he and others have made that call and why most business owners I know have not.

He said:
"Rick I used to have an ego that prevented me from asking for help in anything I did or tried to do. Exposing my "weaknesses" scared me. As a business owner you need to have an ego, but it should not prevent you from getting smarter and better. I have gotten to the point now that if it will make my business better and my life better I seek out help. I cannot know everything.

I hired a consultant several years back and paid him $20,000 to give me ideas and best practices that would improve my business. He left me with the plans and I did not get much out of it. I still have the books.

Coaching is different. You not only bring the ideas and best practices, but you bring the ongoing accountability and focus that every business owner needs. I have had to develop new habits and a renewed focus to really improve the business. I learned to set goals, prioritize actions, focus, follow through and execute. I did all the work - you showed me a better way to do it.

That takes a coach, not a business consultant. Sales are up, profits are up, the team is more accountable and I'm enjoying it all more.

Setting aside the ego was easy. Once you realize you are still in charge and that your issues and weaknesses are not unique, the fear of exposing them disappears."

"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem.
That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-- Dr. Thomas Szasz

I couldn't help it 3 quotes in one.
All the best,
Rick Wallace 

No comments:

Post a Comment