Monday, January 7, 2013

It's a Great Day at Monroe Muffler


"Good leaders take people where they want to go.
Great leaders take people where they necessarily don't want to go,
but ought to be"
 - Roselyn Carter

 
Have you ever called a business and the person answering the phone, well,  you knew they did not want to be there and that you were a bother?

Sure you have and I bet you can tell when and who it was too!

When is the last time you called your business? How is your phone being answered?

I have a client in Dallas who I have been working with for over two years now. Every time I called for our weekly meeting I got the same greeting from one of 3 people who always answered. You got the impression this was not what they wanted to be doing. They are great people who do their jobs well, but they just could not get themselves to answer the phone with a smile and warm greeting.

I would tell my client at least once a month and he would always say, "I know but they do great work, it is just they are not outgoing people." So one day I told him about Hank at Monroe Muffler. He always answers with the same greeting, "Hello it's a great day at Monroe Muffler, this is Hank how can I help you?"  

So my client liked the idea and met with his team and they decided to try it. Now that they have a script, they answer the phone the same way. Instead of getting, "Hello this is Hotsy", followed by silence until the person I asked for answers, you now get "Hello it's a great day at Hotsy, this is Gabby how can I help you?".

It is a huge change. One of my other clients in Austin took it a step further. Their greeting is "Hello it's a great day at Hotsy and yours is about to get better. This is XXXX, can I help you?".

How you answer the phone matters. It is part of your brand and it is the first thing your customers and prospects perceive about you and your company. Work out a script that shows your enthusiasm and start using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment