Monday, November 12, 2012

Your Most Important Client

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently
that which should not be done at all."    
- Peter Drucker

 
One of my clients who has been overwhelmed with business, personal and volunteer work needed a little dose of commitment to saying no to some things, blocking her calendar and focusing on The Right Things, the Rocks that will help her reach her goals.

We discussed and agreed that a blocked hour-just for her to work on Rocks, things that would make her business better - was as important as any client meeting.  This takes a commitment to one's self. She had to stay committed to stop, focus and not let distractions get in the way. She agreed that even her best client walking in the door while she had her door closed working on a Rock could be handled in a way that the client was served and left happy. Finally, she said "You are right I will put a sign up on my door to remind me I'm my "Most Important Client".

See Steve Chandler's insights below:


"It is hard to work with others if you don't have time to talk to them.
 
And as David Allen says: "You have more to do than you can possibly do. You just need to feel good about your choices."

Multi-tasking is the greatest myth in modern-day life. The brain itself does not multi-task, and so people do not really multi-task. The human system is not set up that way. The system has one thought at a time.

And, as business efficiency expert Kerry Gleeson has noted, "The constant, unproductive preoccupation with all the things we have to do is the single largest consumer of time and energy."

People who find joy in their work find ways to relax into an extremely purposeful day, goal-oriented and focused on the highest-priority activity. They can think at any given moment: "Sure I get distracted, and sure some people call, problems come up. But I know what to return to. Because I know my purpose. Because I chose it."  

No comments:

Post a Comment