Monday, October 8, 2012

Testimony: The Death of Fear


"If we did all the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally ASTONISH ourselves."  
- Thomas A. Edison


Last week I posted a piece on Fear and it's devastating effect on our lives and careers. (If you missed it, read it here). Kathy Smith the Marketing Manager of a company in Alberta, Canada who I have worked with for the last couple of years, stunned me with a testimonial about her life and how she "did the thing she feared and how it killed the fear" and turned her life around:

"Rick, I can certainly attest to the liberation of conquering fear. As a single mother of 4 boys and an insane ex-husband who was threatening to kill me (I went through 3 criminal trials with him), I had to figure out a way to earn an income from home so I could protect my children. I decided to launch my own publication but was absolutely terrified of failure. I remember like it was yesterday: writing my script and making the first sales call with sweaty palms and a racing heart. But I pushed myself past the fear and made the first call and the second and the 300 after that. Long story short, I produced my publication for 5 years and then sold it for 5-figures. My "Message from the Publisher" blurb became inadvertently responsible for launching my writing career where I became a published author and wrote my own newspaper column for a year. That spun off to me being the media spokesperson for an association assisting women in domestic abuse situations where I shared my story with many people.

All that because I conquered fear!!"

Kathy Smith
Marketing Manager 

Fear can be a big thing or something as small as making a cold call on a prospect, but by doing it, the fear melts away.

All the best,
Rick Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment