Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Make Time

"The great dividing line between success and failure can be stated in five words:
I did not have time."
-  Henry Davenport

From Steve Chandler:
 
"I attended a writer's workshop put on by the popular mystery author Lawrence Block. Writers in the audience asked him, "What about time management? How do you make sure you find time to write?"  

He was cruel, but honest, in his response. He said that if you're not writing, it's simply because there are things you are doing that you'd rather do. And if you don't want to write, why bother anyway? When you have something in your life you really want to do, you don't have to "find" time, because you'll "make" time.

This is true of anything I want to do more of. I remind myself that time is made...not found." 


 I'll add to that.

The only sure fire way I have found to get the important things done in your life and career is to block time on your calendar to focus on them. Then commit as though that is the most important appointment you have all week. It is easy to break commitments like that with ourselves - a customer calls and wants to meet, a "big crisis" unfolds, easier things on the to-do list entice you away.

Anything can wait an hour (except a real emergency at home). A customer calls and wants to meet at that time? What if you had a meeting with your most important customer at that time? You would simply say, "Well I have another meeting scheduled for that time, could we meet at ......?"

As a client of mine once did, put up a sign that says "I am my most important customer", and treat appointments with yourself like appointments with your "most important customer".

Put those Rocks in the bowl first and I promise the pebbles will fit around them.

Regard,
Rick Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment